Legends Over 50s

Supers Round 5 Versus Diamond Valley on 19 June 2016




Lost 7-6-48 to 13-11-89Ace, Sammy, Rowdy, Ange, Eddie CT 2, Strangey 2, Dave Stephens, Petals, Tangles



Another beautiful day for football saw the Warriors hosting the Diamond Valley Bears at Kalora Park Narre Warren. With several members of the team still overseas, the bench was pretty light-on, but the boys were fired up and looking for an overdue win.

The game opened with gusto, with both sides holding firm. 7 minutes in before DV score their first major. 8 minutes later some excellent forward pressure by Ace and Sammy enabled CT to snap on his left boot (what else?) and put the Warriors in the lead by the barest of margins. A boundary throw in was won by Tangles, and quick kick forward landed in the capable hands of Marky S. Big Dave then took a diving mark 3 metres out, and converted after the siren.

DV stated the second term well, with a goal inside a minute. A calf injury to Vinnie at the 3 minute mark saw DV take advantage of the situation with another quick goal. The Warriors backline was under the pump with DV having plenty of pot-shots at goal. Their inaccuracy and our defensive pressure was enough to stop it becoming a blowout. Hats off to Rowdy and Tony T, solid in defence. The Warriors only score for the quarter came via some nice ball movement out of defence. Starting with an intercept by Ace, a quick kick forward found CT who played on to Marky S. The big fella wheeled around and put it to Fitzy in the goal square, who unselfishly shepherded it through.

The third quarter again saw the Warriors ready for action. A Robbie G switch to his opposite wingman in Ace resulted in some fast forward movement to CT. A long kick in and with Fitzy clobbered in the marking contest, Marky S front and centre swooped and kicked truly on his left. Again a quick reply by DV left the Warriors playing catch up. Some great work by Eddie from a boundary throw-in. A long looping handball (yes, you read correctly) found Ace, whose hurried but controlled kick off the outside of the boot found CT a mere 20 metres out. With CT fresh from having the entire pre-season and half the main season off, it was a gimme and the goal umpire didn't need to move.

Some bullocking ground work deep in the defensive pocket by Mick W forced a ball up. Pinga was infringed against in the ruck and a nice kick out wide to Tangles saw play on to the running Eddie. A lovely kick downfield hit CT who passed to Fitzy on the flank. Another quick kick hit the leading Marky S on the chest. Again, he wheeled around and popped it over to Petals who hadn't stopped running. After getting his breath back, Petals put it through from 35. Warriors trailing by 9. To their credit DV responded yet again and went into the last break with a 16 point lead.

Another goal to DV within a minute was not the way the Warriors wanted the final quarter to start. Undeterred, the Warriors fought on, getting the ball forward and keeping it there. Forward pressure saw a ball up in the goal square and some clumsy ruckwork by DV gifted Tangles a shot from 10 metres out. Unfortunately the Warriors didn't trouble the goal umpire much after that. The lack of rotations saw us run out of steam as DV took full advantage of the situation. Full credit to DV for being the better team on the day.

Report By Coach Marko